I just complicated things

in Steckbrief 03.12.2019 06:51
von Cl11234566 • 375 Beiträge

TORONTO -- Canadas Milos Raonic boasts one of the strongest power games on the mens tennis tour. On Friday night, his game was undone by an unseeded opponent who picked his style apart. Spains Feliciano Lopez eliminated Raonic from the Rogers Cup with a 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-3 quarter-final victory in front of a surprised crowd at Rexall Centre. Raonic, the No. 6 seed from Thornhill, Ont., struggled early and was hampered by unforced errors on the stadium showcourt. Raonic hung in there despite his inconsistency but couldnt convert one of the nine break point opportunities he had in a pivotal 12-minute game midway through the deciding set. Lopez later picked up a break before closing out the win. "I just need to show in a few situations more courage and go for it a little bit more," Raonic said. "Not just that third set but all throughout the match." Raonics trademark rocket serve was still a weapon but his rhythm on the baseline was affected by Lopezs unique style. The crafty left-handed Spaniard mixed things up with cut shots, chip-and-chase strokes and a nice variety of drops and lobs. The change in pace seemed to handcuff Raonic at times. His ground strokes were still powerful but they were weakened when Lopez forced the Canadian wider on court or made him change his approach. The Spaniard said he went heavy on his second serves and was fortunate to hang in there in the third set. "I mean to save nine break points in the same game -- even though I played great (for) most of them -- I have to get a little bit lucky," Lopez said. He completed the victory in one hour 57 minutes to quiet the vocal near-capacity crowd. "Two mistakes, one break and thats it. This is tennis," Lopez said. Lopez will play Roger Federer of Switzerland in the semifinals on Saturday. The second-seeded Swiss star defeated No. 5 David Ferrer of Spain 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in the late quarter-final. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France also reached the final four with a 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4 victory over Britains Andy Murray. Tsonga will meet seventh-seeded Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria, who outlasted South Africas Kevin Anderson 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (6). Raonic relied on his powerful ground strokes but the results were mixed as he sprayed a number of shots and had several mishits. The 23-year-old right-hander didnt hide his frustration. At 2-2 and with serve in the opening set, Raonic shouted out in frustration after dropping the first two points of the game. His next shot went long and another mishit gave Lopez the first service break of the match. Raonic threw an exasperated look at his coach at the changeover and couldnt pull even, with Lopez sealing the set with an overhead smash. The Canadian came out strong in the second set by taking the first five points. He was still having trouble with the spin on some of Lopezs shots but the pace of the match started to open up with longer rallies. The players went back and forth with mini-breaks in the tiebreaker. Raonic converted his first set point when Lopez fired a ball long as he tripped while approaching the net. The Spaniard landed awkwardly on his wrist and could be seen trying to loosen it up before the third set. It apparently wasnt a bother as Lopez was steady on serve and consistent down the stretch. "He did a good job," Raonic said. "He stepped up and played well in the important moments, especially on his service game." Earlier, the 13th-seeded Tsonga picked up his second straight upset victory by knocking off the eighth-seeded Murray, who had won nine of 10 previous meetings against the Frenchman. Tsonga was coming off a convincing win over top-seeded Novak Djokovic. "This week is kind of rewards for me," Tsonga said. "To play like this, to beat two guys in the top 10. Its good and I hope it will continue." Tsonga, who had an 18-7 edge in aces over Murray, won 83 per cent of points when his first serve was in. "I was able to serve maybe 220 (km/h) all match and for me its something great when Im serving like this," Tsonga said. "Im able to play good tennis." Murray said it was a much faster-paced match than his tournament opener against Nick Kyrgios. The two-time Rogers Cup champ had reached the quarter-finals on a walkover when Richard Gasquet withdrew due to an abdominal injury. "Jo is a top player, hes a fantastic athlete," Murray said. "When his game is on, hes very tough to beat." In mens doubles play, the third-seeded team of Torontos Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia advanced with a 2-6, 6-3, 14-12 win over No. 5 Julien Benneteau and Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France. No. 4 Ivan Dodig of Croatia and Marcelo Melo of Brazil beat seventh-seeded Spaniards Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez 4-6, 6-4, 10-8. The second-seeded duo of Alexander Peya of Austria and Bruno Soares of Brazil defeated Jean-Julien Rojer of the Netherlands and Romanias Horia Tecau 7-6 (4), 6-4. Federer was the highest-seeded player left in the singles draw after three of the top four seeds were eliminated Thursday. He improved to 15-0 lifetime against Ferrer. Raonic, meanwhile, was coming off a tournament victory last weekend in Washington and fell to 2-2 against Lopez. He has six career wins on the ATP Tour but is still looking for his first Masters 1000 title. All three of his matches were three-set affairs at the US$3.78-million tournament. His focus now turns to the next hardcourt warmup event in Ohio ahead of the U.S. Open. "Im competing well and fighting well and I know I can play much better tennis," Raonic said. "The goal has always been get better each week to be playing my best tennis in New York, and thats what Im most looking forward to. "Cincinnati is the next step to getting better." Raonic reached the final at last years Rogers Cup in Montreal before losing to Rafael Nadal. The Spaniard is not back to defend his title due to a wrist injury. Terrence Jones Jersey Signed . But luckily for the Canadian squad, one goal was all it needed. Winnipegs Sophie Schmidt scored the winner off a Diana Matheson corner kick to seal Canadas third-place spot in the Torneio Internacional de Futebol Feminino in Brazil on Sunday. Nolan Smith Jersey Signed .ca looks back at the stories and moments that made the year memorable. https://www.cheapnbajerseysjustwholesale...-jersey-signed/. "Ive got a lot of work to do on this team and the sooner that I can get back to my office and start that work, itll be better," he said straight-faced as the rest of the room erupted in laughter. Authentic NBA Jerseys . Hattestad managed to avoid the carnage midway through the mens final, as a crash took out three skiers, essentially leaving two men vying for gold. The Norwegian posted a time of 3:38.39, outlasting Swedens Teodor Peterson, who took silver with a time of 3:39. NBA Jerseys China . Erik Cole scored on a breakaway with 4:49 to play, and the Stars rallied to defeat the Minnesota Wild 4-3 on Saturday night.MASON, Ohio -- Milos Raonic says he came to the court with a poor attitude, and it almost cost him. Fortunately for the fifth-seeded Canadian, his booming serve rescued him from a big upset. Raonic saved a win with his 30th ace in a tense 6-7 (7), 6-3, 7-6 (4) victory over American qualifier Steve Johnson on Thursday to advance to the quarter-finals of the Western & Southern Open tennis tournament. While his serve was potent, Raonic said his poor play made the contest "complicated." Raonic had to win it all in a tiebreaker after striking three double-faults as he served for victory leading 5-4 in the final set. In the end, the 23-year-old won the last four points of the tiebreaker, capping the victory with another ace. "My attitude was not great when I was first serving for the match," said Raonic. "It added up and made life a lot tougher, it put a lot of weight on my shoulders. I was playing too negatively. "Johnson was getting ahead a few times, but not by any great distance. I just complicated things in a lot of moments. I certainly would have raather had that final ace at 5-4 in the third.dddddddddddd." Raonic plays on Friday against 15th seed Fabio Fognini, who beat Lu Yen-Hsun 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. He said that his downbeat demeanour that plagued his play Thursday is a temporary problem. "Its a Milos problem, weve spoken of it many times," he said. "But the beauty of tennis is when you win, you can always play much better the next day." Raonic lost the opening set after 45 minutes. Johnson won it in a tiebreaker when the Raonics lob landed beyond the baseline. In the second, Raonic began to turn the tide as he went up a break for 2-0 then levelled at a set each with a winner down the line on his second set point. The third became hard work for Raonic due to his errors and tenacity from his American opponent. In the deciding tiebreaker, Raonic profited from Johnsons forehand into the net to take a 6-4 and claimed the win on the next point. Raonic, the last Canadian left in singles competition, will be playing his second Cincinnati quarter-final after 2012, when he lost to Stan Wawrinka. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2019 Themen und 3238 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen