BALTIMORE - Nick Markakis endured the lean years with the Baltimore Orioles, suffering through one losing season after another d

in Steckbrief 24.05.2019 02:47
von carrie201918 • 685 Beiträge

BALTIMORE - Nick Markakis endured the lean years with the Baltimore Orioles, suffering through one losing season after another during the worst stretch in franchise history.If that wasnt bad enough, when the Orioles finally turned things around in 2012, Markakis sat out the playoffs with a broken thumb.Now, nine years into his major league career, the 30-year-old right fielder is getting his first taste of post-season baseball. No one on Baltimores current roster has spent more time with the team than Markakis, whose loyalty to the Orioles has never wavered since they made him their first-round pick in the 2003 draft.Even after Baltimore went 70-92, 69-93 and 68-93 in his first three major league seasons, Markakis remained confident he would ultimately reach the playoffs with the Orioles.So he signed a six-year extension in 2009 during Baltimores miserable run of 14 straight losing seasons.In the past, judging by the development and the direction the team was going, I knew it was just a matter of time, Markakis said. Thats one reason I signed here, because I knew eventually it was going to happen. Good things come from a little hard work, patience and dedication. It was just a matter of plugging in players here and there, and weve got it now.Using deft moves by executive vice-president Dan Duquette and the guidance of manager Buck Showalter, the Orioles are in the AL Championship Series for the first time since 1997. When they open at home Friday night against Kansas City, there will be plenty of fans among the sellout crowd wearing No. 21 jerseys with MARKAKIS on the back.Markakis, the Orioles leadoff hitter, ranks among the top 10 in franchise history in games, at-bats, runs, hits, double, RBIs and walks. In his own understated way, hes made a name for himself on lists that include Hall of Fame stars Cal Ripken, Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson.You look at the all-time leaders in hits in Baltimore history, that gets your attention, manager Buck Showalter said. Sometimes we dont completely grasp what weve watching here.Showalter remembers how disappointed Markakis was in 2012, when the Orioles finally shed their losing ways and earned a spot in the playoffs as a wild card. Markakis season ended on Sept. 9 when he was struck in the left thumb by a fastball from New York Yankees ace C.C. Sabathia.It still bothers me, Showalter said. That was a kick in the (rear). It reminded all of us how fleeting this is.For Markakis, watching the post-season from the bench didnt come close to the feeling of playing the game.Every kid wants to be part of something. When theyre doing something and youre not part of it, it makes you appreciate what youre missing, Markakis said. I understand that now. I had it taken away from in 2012, but here I am with a second chance.Hes making the most of it, too. Markakis had three RBIs and scored three runs in the Orioles three-game sweep of Detroit in the AL Division Series, the highlight a two-run homer in Game 2.I know hes excited about being in the playoffs and were all excited to have him, Baltimore shortstop J.J. Hardy said. Hes kind of one of the steady guys we have on this team. Hes out there every single day, giving 100 per cent playing through pain and all kinds of stuff.The only time in the last seven years that Markakis failed to play in at least 155 games was that lamentable 2012 season.As manager, thats one less thing you have to worry about, Showalter said. Hes such a self-starter a€” and so consistent.That contract Markakis signed in 2009 comes with a club option next season. He will receive $17.5 million in 2015, or the Orioles must pay a $2 million buyout.When he signed in 2009, it was with the notion that he would spend his entire career in Baltimore.High risk, high reward. It was a good decision on my part, Markakis said. I knew what this city was capable of doing and it paid off. Im enjoying this.He cant imagine what it would have been like to spurn the extension, become a free agent and sign with the highest bidder.Theres always an easy way out, Markakis said. You can sign with the team with the most money and best players and everything else, but I always believe in putting in your time and being loyal to the team that who gave you that opportunity.Thats what I abide by, thats how I was raised. I wouldnt have it any other way. Nolan Cromwell Jersey . Off-season additions Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley did not train with the club today, prompting Nelsen to declare its too early to tell if either will be ready for Saturday. Torry Holt Jersey . Webb birdied the 18th hole to take the outright lead, then watched as Choi, who shot a course-record 62 on Saturday to take a share of the third-round lead, pushed a 10-foot putt wide of the hole at 18 to miss the chance for a playoff. http://www.officiallaramspro.com/Todd-gu...ams-jersey/.com) - Cincinnati Reds pitcher Mat Latos had an arthroscopic procedure performed on his right elbow last week, the teams official site reported Wednesday. Eric Dickerson Jersey . Hollis-Jefferson went 5-for-6 from the field and added six rebounds, while Stanley Jefferson contributed 14 points for the Wildcats, who used their trademark tough defense to dominate the games final 24 minutes and advance to Tuesdays winners bracket matchup with Kansas State. Aaron Donald Jersey . The 2010 batting champ showed what he can do when hes mostly healthy. Gonzalez homered, doubled and singled in his return to the lineup, and the Colorado Rockies snapped a five-game losing streak with a 13-4 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday night. PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- The final moments Saturday at Oak Hill brought out more emotion as big putts kept falling in the PGA Championship, with one big difference. These putts were for par. Jim Furyk, after a 3-wood struck so poorly off the 18th tee that he couldnt have reached the green even if he had been in the fairway, worked his way up the 472-yard hole until he had a 15-foot putt from the fringe to keep a one-shot lead. The ball curled into the left corner of the cup, and the 43-year-old emphatically shook his fist. Adam Scott, whose sweet swing turned sour on the last few holes, was on the verge of letting the lead get another shot away from him when he knocked in a 15-foot putt for par on the 17th hole, bowed his head and pumped his fist. And then there was Jason Dufner, whose disappointment turned to surprise on the 18th hole when he took a step toward the cup to tap in a missed putt and watched gravity pull it into the hole for a par that put him in the final group. Perhaps those scenes were a prelude for Sunday, the final round of the final major of the year. "Its only going to get harder," Furyk said. Oak Hill finally had enough elements for a tough test, and Furyk showed enough of his western Pennsylvania grit for a 2-under 68 and a one-shot lead over Dufner. Grinding to the end in a swirling wind that cast doubt on so many shots, Furyk closed with two clutch putts -- one for birdie to regain the lead, the par putt to keep it -- that put him 18 holes away from winning another major 10 years after his U.S. Open title. There was nothing fancy about the way he worked his way to the top of the leaderboard at 9-under 201, but then, thats rarely the case with Furyk. He made three birdies and two tough pars on the back nine, and the one bogey was a bunker shot that hit the pin and rolled 7 feet away. He was so wrapped up in his game that he didnt even know the score. "Give me a leaderboard. Where are we at?" he asked before he was told he was one shot ahead of Dufner, and two clear of Henrik Stenson. "Im comfortable with where Im at," Furyk said. "Theres a crowded leaderboard at the top, and instead of really viewing it as who is leading and who is not, Im really viewing it as I need to go out there tomorrow and put together a good, solid round of golf. Fire a good number and hope it stacks up well." Dufner was eight shot worse than his record-tying 63, but at least he got into the final group at the PGA Championship for the second time in three years. At the Atlanta Athletic Club in 2011, he had a four-shot lead with four holes to go and lost to Keegan Bradley in a playoff. "I was young, new to doing the majors," Dufner said. "I think that was the third or fourth major I played in. So hopefully, the experience Ive had since then will pull me through and give me a chance to win tomorrow." Stenson, a runner-up at the British Open three weeks ago, dropped only one shot over the last 16 holes and ran in a pair of 12-foot birdie putts for a 69 and was two shots behind. Swedens odds of winning a major have never been this high. Stenson will play in the penultimate grouup with Jonas Blixt, who had a 66.dddddddddddd The surprise was Scott, who was poised to seize control at any moment. Scott blasted a driver on the uphill, 318-yard 14th hole that was so pure he snatched his tee from the ground as the ball was still rising. It stopped 25 feet below the cup, and he had an eagle putt to tie for the lead. The Australian two-putted for birdie, and two holes later fell back with a double bogey on the 16th. Scott escaped further damage with a 15-foot par save on the 17th and managed a 72. He was four shots behind, along with Steve Stricker, who had a 70. Those were the only five players within five shots of the lead. Still with an outside chance was Rory McIlroy, who came to life with three birdies over his last six holes for a 67. McIlroy, trying to join Tiger Woods as the only repeat winners of the PGA in the stroke-play era, knocked in a 40-foot birdie putt on the 17th and then showed more emotion than he has all year when he chipped in for birdie on the 18th. "It was good to feel the sort of rush again," McIlroy said. He was at 3 under, still six shots behind. David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., briefly the clubhouse leader during round 1, fell to 3 over for the tournament after carding 1-over 71 Saturday. Hearn looked like he was going to turn in a strong round, but he followed a bogey on 17 with a double-bogey on 18. Woods, meanwhile, will have to wait eight more months to end his drought in the majors. He opened with two bogeys in three holes and shot a 73 to fall 13 shots behind. It was a shocking performance from the worlds No. 1 player, mainly because he was coming off a seven-shot win at Firestone that included a 61. Woods has made only seven birdies in 54 holes -- four of them on par 3s. British Open champion Phil Mickelson was even worse. He sprayed the ball all over Oak Hill on his way to a 78, matching his highest score ever in the PGA Championship. No one looked terribly comfortable at the start, not with the swirling wind and water hazard that winds its way along the front nine. U.S. Open champion Justin Rose fell apart early with back-to-back double bogeys that sent him to a 42. He wound up with a 77. Scott opened with a 20-foot birdie putt, only to follow with back-to-back bogeys. And when Dufner ended his string of pars by driving into the creek on No. 5 for double bogey, it appeared that this tournament was wide open. The leaders steadied themselves, leaving the title Sunday it still up for grabs but likely among fewer players. Scott knows as well as anyone how unpredictable a final round can be. He was four shots up with four holes to play at the British Open last year and watched Ernie Els win the claret jug. At Muirfield last month, Mickelson came from five shots behind on the final day and won by three. "I would like to be leading," Scott said. "Four back is well within reach. Anything can happen in a major. We just saw the pin spots get tough today, and scoring in the final groups was very difficult. With so much danger around, its hard to be completely free where major pressure is on the line. Tomorrow is going to be similar." Stitched College Jerseys Cheap UCLA Jerseys NCAA Louisville Cardinals Jerseys North Carolina Jerseys Stitched Kentucky Wildcats Jerseys Stitched Alabama Crimson Tide Jerseys Cheap Basketball Wisconsin Badgers Jerseys Authentic NCAA Jerseys Store Wholesale Basketball NCAA Jerseys Cheap Duke Gear Stitched Alabama Jerseys Stitched Georgia Jerseys Cheap Clemson Jerseys Authentic Authentic Texas Jerseys Wholesale USC Jerseys Stitched Oklahoma Jerseys Stitched Ohio State Jerseys Cheap Notre Dame Gear UCLA Jerseys From China Cheap Louisville Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap North Carolina Jerseys Authentic Cheap Kentucky Jerseys Authentic Wisconsin Jerseys From China Cheap Michigan Gear Cheap Florida Gear Wholesale Arizona State Jerseys Cheap LSU Gear Cheap Auburn Gear Cheap California Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Miami Jerseys Authentic Cheap Michigan State Gear Cheap Tennessee Jerseys Authentic Texas A&M Jerseys From China Authentic Wake Forest Jerseys West Virginia Jerseys From China ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2019 Themen und 3238 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen