the Cardinals last season

in Steckbrief 06.11.2020 01:58
von gdshutter • 39 Beiträge

The Patriots lost Cam Newton for at least one game because of the coronavirus, and now there are concerns for Patrick Mahomes after the Chiefs quarterback was in close proximity of Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore after the two teams played -- and then Gilmore subsequently tested positive himself for COVID-19.
The league is still trying to figure out how to handle the Titans' cluster of cases and there have been a whole host of new protocols rolled out to help mitigate further outbreaks. But as games go on, there remains no bigger piece for any team that its quarterback.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said the Cardinals aren't doing anything different to keep Kyler Murray safe, only making sure he and everyone else are adhering to the protocols -- protocols that have been ramped up over the last few days as the NFL grapples with the problem.
Murray acknowledged, while it's always been forefront in his mind this season, the recent news underscores the efforts everyone must make.
"You wake up every day and someone else has it, so for me, I try to stay (safe)," Murray said. "I've told you all before I'm real low-key, so if I'm not here at practice, I'm trying to be in the house as much as possible. Because you never know. Even parents, spouses, anybody can be (infected), you never know. Anybody in the building.
"I understand the responsibility I have to be the quarterback of this team. If I get it, I'm putting the team in a tough spot. Obviously we have faith in everybody, but I can't help us if I'm not on the field. I try and stay as safe as possible."
Kyler Murray felt like, had his pass to Larry Fitzgerald connected on the first drive, or his bomb to Andy Isabella on the second drive, had just connected, things would've been different. Or if he hadn't fumbled with the Cardinals driving in the second half, then too (although the Cards would've been faced with a fourth down in that instance.) Maybe he's right. But that's the league - in the pros, you're going to be able to parse a few plays and wonder what might have been.
But the Cardinals are fighting some things now. The 10 a.m. bodyclock start time - even with the team flying out Friday, even with them practicing since the beginning of training camp around 8 a.m. in Arizona - seemed to mean something Sunday. There was a lot of ugliness against a team that may be proving to be better than people expected but certainly not one that should've held a 28-7 lead in the second half.
Defensively, the game wasn't good, and it needs to be better, obviously (although the missing safeties matter. More on that in a bit.) But this was always a team that was going to be led by its offense, and that's why the way things unfolded Sunday was disappointing.
The Jets game next week was going to be a big deal. It's monumental now.
With Curtis Riley struggling the Cardinals subbed in Charles Washington in the second half Sunday, and then Riley came in for Deionte Thompson at one point too. Bottom line: When you are going to safeties 4, 5 and 6 on the depth chart, it's probably going to show up. It did, especially in the first half. All it does is underscore how important Budda Baker is, and why it'll be crucial to get Jalen Thompson - who is eligible to come off IR this coming week - back.
The Isaiah Simmons watch for Sunday. He played sparingly. By my count (and to be honest, I could've missed one) Simmons was in for 12 snaps, 10 at linebacker. He did go to line up at deep centerfield safety twice, backpedaling as the defense spread out - and both times the Panthers ended up false starting. I don't know if it was because Simmons was looming on the back end, but it was interesting.
Two weeks in a row, the Cardinals have been flagged for having too many men on defense out of the huddle. What made it worse was on the next play - a Panthers' touchdown - the Cardinals only had 10 men on the field.
There was little to celebrate defensively but Patrick Peterson's pick was one. It looked like Peterson was playing safety on the play, and perhaps that's a wrinkle the Cards can use at times.
Murray's 48-yard scramble was the longest run by a Cardinals' quarterback since M.C. Reynolds had a 50-yard run against the Eagles back in 1950.
Two straight games for Fitz with less than five yards receiving. I never ever thought I'd see that.
It would've been an excellent catch, and it would've been on the highlight reels for degree of difficulty. But I'm guessing Andy Isabella thought he should've come down with that bomb.
Murray's 4.3 yards per attempt - even with three touchdown passes - is not a sustainable stat for a team looking for wins. He was smart with the ball (the fumble wasn't his fault, with backside pressure), but as Christian Kirk said a couple of times, this offense is about explosive plays and then using tempo off that.
DeAndre Hopkins did not look like a guy who had a bad ankle.
The Cardinals worked Max Garcia into a possession at left guard in place of Justin Pugh, much like they did with Justin Murray the week before. With Pugh leaving the game later (there was no status report) we will have to see if that's something that has to continue into New York.
Speaking of injuries, Kenyan Drake took a shot near the end of the game and had to go to the locker room. Chase Edmonds - whose wonderful one-on-one move on a short pass in the red zone kept a touchdown drive alive - would be up. The last thing the Cards need is for Drake to be down
The Cardinals are trying to find their offense. The one thing that has been consistent - all-NFL, really - has been DeAndre Hopkins' production. And now we have that first moment with Hopkins (insert grimacing emoji here) where he hasn't practiced with an ankle injury and what does that really mean? A decision won’t be made until game day, and while I sit here now thinking I still think he'll play, it probably means a less-than-100 percent Nuk.
(Insert second grimacing emoji.)
Add to the fact Christian Kirk, another game-day decision, won't be 100 percent either, and it's easy to be at least a little concerned about the passing game. Maybe that's why it will be easier to get Larry Fitzgerald more involved. And why it's a good thing Andy Isabella has started to emerge.
It can't be lost on anyone that this was the week everyone was hoping the passing game would finally click, that Kyler Murray would shake off his three-interception game. Now you have to wonder about who he will be able to target. Hopkins has a streak of 21 straight games of at least five catches, second-longest in NFL history. If he does play, will he be OK enough to get that total again?
Going to be interesting watching those inactives come out 90 minutes before game time (or Twitter, if someone decides to leak what will happen to a national reporter.)
Big game for Murray, especially if he is missing D-Hop. It just puts a lot more on the shoulders of the kid. Hey, the last time he faced Matt Rhule, Murray threw six TD passes (and ran for another TD). I know it's not OU-Baylor. I'm just sayin'.
We knew it was coming, but the Cardinals are going to feel the loss of Budda Baker. Hopefully for just this game.
Haason Reddick may have to have a bigger role too, if Devon Kennard can't play. And what might that mean for Isaiah Simmons? With the safeties and potentially Kennard banged up, the Cards may need him to take more snaps just to get guys on the field.
We've talked about the safeties all week and then cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick landed on the injury report after getting a concussion at practice Thursday. He's a game-day decision too. The Cards are in better shape at cornerback than safety, with Patrick Peterson and Byron Murphy still there, but if Kirkpatrick can't go, they'll have to turn to Kevin Peterson. That secondary will be tested.
The way the coronavirus directs the rest of the NFL season will be something to watch. Before COVID-19, the Cardinals would've and wanted to stay back East for a week this season, and this would have been the week - between a game in Carolina and a game in New York against the Jets, in the Eastern time zone. That's not happening.
What is happening is the Panthers, who can have up to 5,200 fans in attendance for the Cardinals game, are going to use an expensive robot to kill coronavirus germs. It will be used in the locker rooms, so hopefully that'll be another way to keep the Cards safe as they play the first of three straight road games.
I don't know how the small amount of fans might impact things, but I'm guessing not a ton. That's OK with Justin Pugh, who said road games without crowds, not surprisingly, helps the road team's offense.
"I think it gives the offense a very distinct advantage," Pugh said, noting that Aaron Rodgers was able to work the Saints defense - in a normally raucous Mercedes Benz Superdome - with his cadence in last week's Packers' win. "Being an offensive player, I'll take every advantage I can get."
Two interesting updates to the NFL COVID protocols over the last day or so. One will impact the Cardinals. One, hopefully, never will. First, the NFL and NFLPA agreed to terms where players must remain in their team's city for the bye week - no jetting off to a long weekend of relaxation - and get tested. The other is if there is an outbreak with a team - players once they returned to the field would have to wear PPE/facemasks when they are on the practice field at all times (as would staff members). Gloves would be required for everyone, save for the throwing hand of the quarterbacks.
The Panthers had their way with the Cardinals last season, but that was with a different coach, a different quarterback and definitely with Christian McCaffrey. McCaffrey had 153 yards rushing on only 24 carries (and another three catches for 35 yards) and had a long TD run that I think Vance Joseph is still salty about. But McCaffrey is out, and even with all the Cardinals injury issues, that's the biggest one of all this weekend.
The Cards' defense is tops in the NFL on third downs, and seventh overall. They are the second-best team when it comes to stopping teams from touchdowns in the red zone. Again, they are hurting in some areas, but that may be where the Cardinals must find their strength against the Panthers.

Michael Jordan Unc JerseyAnthony Davis Kentucky JerseyJa Morant Murray State JerseyLarry Bird Indiana State JerseyLonzo Ball Ucla JerseyZion Williamson Duke Jersey
nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2019 Themen und 3238 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen