The bigger problem is the defense as a whole isn’t getting

in Steckbrief 26.12.2019 06:44
von zhangzk • 134 Beiträge

ASHBURN Dwayne Haskins Jersey White , Va. (AP) — Caleb Brantley thought the Washington Redskins might draft him out of Florida last year.They passed on him like 30 other NFL teams did before the Cleveland Browns finally took the defensive lineman in the sixth round. Brantley faced a misdemeanor battery complaint that was dismissed after the draft.The Redskins signed Brantley on Monday after he was cut by the Browns, hoping his off-field issues are behind him and he gives them an upgrade over Anthony Lanier, whom they waived with an injury designation.“From what we understood, the charges are dropped and everything’s OK,” coach Jay Gruden said. “He’s been there in Cleveland the last couple years, so there haven’t been any issues yet. We’ll see. We understand who he is, where he comes from and what he’s done and what he’s going to do, and we’ve got to hope that we get the best out of him both as a player and as a person.”The 24-year-old Brantley had 18 tackles and two sacks last season as a rookie. After a sack and two tackles in the preseason weren’t enough to make the Browns’ roster, he hopes defensive line coach Jim Tomsula can get him back to the level of his junior season at Florida when he led the Gators with 9½ tackles for loss and had 2½ sacks.“I feel like I can add pressure up the middle and just be a disruptive force,” Brantley said. “I just get in there and get vertical and penetrate. And I feel like I can be that kind of player here. I feel like I can learn a lot from Coach Tomsula. He’s one of the best D-line coaches. I’m just looking forward to learning from him and just doing what he asks me to do.”Brantley is the Redskins’ fifth defensive lineman 25 or younger, joining first-round picks from Alabama Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne, Tim Settle and Matt Ioannidis. Gruden said those players and veteran Ziggy Hood are ahead of Brantley, who seems like a long shot to play in the season opener Sunday at Arizona.More likely, he’s a long-term prospect for the Redskins, who moved on from Lanier after he was hampered recently by a hip flexor groin injury. He made Washington’s 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent in 2016 and had 14 tackles and five sacks last season.“We like Anthony,” Gruden said. “He did a lot of great things for this organization. But at the end of the day, we thought Caleb adds a little bit more to the defensive line room.”NOTES: WR Maurice Harris (concussion) and LB Zach Brown (oblique) did not practice Monday. Gruden expects Brown to be ready for the Cardinals game. If Harris isn’t cleared by Sunday, it could open a spot for undrafted rookie Cam Sims to be active. … The Redskins added QB Nic Shimonek and DT Caushaud Lyons to the practice squad. Shimonek, an undrafted free agent out of Texas Tech who spent training camp with the Chargers, gives Washington a developmental prospect they haven’t had since Nate Sudfeld. ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — The Washington Redskins have lost four in a row, are down to their fourth quarterback and are mired in criticism from several players.A once-promising season has gone off the rails thanks to injuries on the offense and blown assignments and missed tackles on defense. The finger-pointing is well underway on a team that has fallen to 6-7 and there is plenty of blame to go around.Defensive backs Josh Norman and D.J. Swearinger were outspoken after the latest loss, linebacker Mason Foster vented his frustration in a private social media message that came to light and it’s becoming clear there’s a disconnect between players and coaches. While the 2017 season could be written off for injuries, everyone from team President Bruce Allen to coach Jay Gruden and defensive coordinator Greg Manusky could be in danger of losing his job.“If anyone’s going to have to take the fall, it’s going to have to be all of us — everyone in this building,” tight end Vernon Davis said Wednesday. “Everyone is just going to have to take accountability for it.”Gruden said his “job is in jeopardy every week,” so his focus is getting the team ready to face Jacksonville on Sunday. He and some players were quick to point out Washington is only a half-game out of a playoff spot Womens Bryce Love Jersey , so the season is far from over.That itself is remarkable.The Redskins’ defense that ranked first in the NFL early in the season is now 20th, Alex Smith and Colt McCoy each suffered broken right legs and quarterback Josh Johnson is making his first start since 2011. Injuries have again played a role in this freefall, which points to personnel decisions made Allen, Gruden, senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams and the rest of the front office.And even though he got an extension through 2020, Gruden is the eighth coach to work under owner Dan Snyder and is on the hot seat after just one playoff appearance in his first four seasons.“Sometimes it’s hard not to think about it because of course you’re going to get asked about it,” said running back Chris Thompson, who expressed his support for Gruden and the rest of the coaching staff. “I really don’t want to think about that too much. We got three more games to go and at this point anything could happen and then the decisions that are made upstairs, we can’t really control that stuff.”The Redskins can control their practice habits, an area Swearinger has been critical of the past two seasons. He has raised questions about the team’s lack of preparation, a problem that has bubbled up and caused inconsistency.“I can’t tell you what needs to be changed. I ain’t the coach,” Swearinger said after a 40-16 loss to the Giants on Sunday. “We ain’t executing. We ain’t getting the job done. That’s the answer they want me to give.”Norman said he wasn’t going to blame the injury-ravaged offense or make excuses for the four-game skid. And it’s impossible to pinpoint one source of all the losing.“There’s a lot of things when you’re talking about losing a football game,” Gruden said. “If we had it narrowed down to one thing, we’d fix it and be OK. Sometimes it’s defense, sometimes it’s offense, sometimes it’s special teams, sometimes it’s coaching. It’s a combination. So it’s a matter of all of us having to step up in some key players’ absences and playing better and we haven’t done that.”Foster cursing the team and its fan base in a private message on Instagram was just the latest development in a quickly unraveling season. Gruden and Foster’s teammates brushed it off, citing the veteran’s contributions on the field.the job done.“I know for me personally the wear and tear and the grind of the season, mentally you start to just lose a little bit of focus and it’s natural,” defensive lineman Jonathan Allen said. “It’s a long season, so naturally you’re going to fall off in certain areas, and that’s the goal to not fall off.”Beating the Jaguars and getting help around the league could put the Redskins in position to still challenge for a playoff spot. In the midst of all the frustration, veteran running back Adrian Peterson wants everyone to realize the season isn’t over.“We’re only half a game out,” Peterson said. “When they show the playoff picture on ESPN, we’re there.”NOTES: TE Jordan Reed (right foot/ankle), WR Josh Doctson (concussion protocol) and DL Matt Ioannidis (shin) were among the players who didn’t practice Wednesday. … Gruden shortened practice to under 90 minutes amid his team’s injuries.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2019 Themen und 3238 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen