He is aggressively trying to transform a losing franchise into a winning one

in Warum es dieses Forum gibt und wozu ich das mache 12.12.2019 02:53
von liny195 • 49 Beiträge

"Angry. Confused. Disappointed. Anguished. Frustrated. Resigned. Bitter. Disillusioned. Whatever word or words you want to use to describe them White Rhett Ellison Jerseys , I have been thinking a lot about the emotional state of many New York Giants fans recently, especially in the wake of the organization’s decision to send Odell Beckham Jr. to the Cleveland Browns.Many in the media haven’t helped, with their poison pens turned menacingly in the direction of Dave Gettleman, who some might think of as the crazy old man in charge of making personnel decisions for the Giants.My stance has been much more “wait and see” than it has been visceral, leaving me to sort of feel like Grandpa Ed trying to play peacemaker in the middle of a nasty family argument. Anyway, some thoughts s we wait to see what will happen when the Giants come out the other side of whatever it is you want to call what Gettleman is putting them through. I’m not calling it a rebuild, or a build, or a re-construction, revamping or whatever.As I type this on a windy, gray, miserable un-spring like Friday afternoon it occurs to me perhaps the best word is “transformation.” Like winter transforms to spring.The Giants have been in winter for a long time now. Except for a brief 2016 interlude, the Giants have been in winter since they last slayed the New England Patriots in the 2011 Super Bowl.Will spring — and eventually summer — ever come again?“Trust the process”On the ‘Valentine’s Views’ podcast the other day, Carl Banks said the Beckham trade — and to a slightly lesser extent the loss of Landon Collins in free agency — had brought the Giants’ fan base to its “trust the process moment.”Gettleman’s “process” has been hard for many to understand. Signing Beckham to a mega-contract, then trading him away. Perhaps, and I’m not at all sure this was the case, not initially realizing the enormity of the task the blunders of Jerry Reese and Ben McAdoo had left him with. Sticking with an aging quarterback and stubbornly pushing back against a narrative that insists that quarterback can’t play anymore — in fact, hasn’t been able to play for a while. Zigging when many think he should be zagging, and zagging when they think he should be zigging.The incredulous reactions make me laugh.Remember the outcry — and the fear — when the Giants hired Gettleman to replace Reese? The fact that Gettleman had a long history in the Giants personnel department had many thinking the Giants were sticking with the status quo, just re-arranging the deck chairs. It was basically “same old Giants Rhett Ellison Jerseys 2019 , turning to one of their own. Nothing is going to change.”Well, everything — with the obvious exception of the current starting quarterback — has changed. The way the Giants grade draft prospects, the coaching staff, almost the entire roster, a renewed emphasis on line play, the GM’s willingness to admit mistakes and quickly move on rather than stubbornly sticking with something in a vain effort to prove he was right. It’s all new. And unfamiliar. And it makes people uncomfortable because it’s different, it’s unpredictable and what comes next is the unknown. And nobody is entirely comfortable with the unknown.What, though, did anyone expect? Something I have been saying recently that seems to resonate is that Gettleman is not dismantling the New England Patriots. He wasn’t hired to maintain the status quo, to rubber stamp the losing path the Giants were on. He was hired to try and fix the Giants because they were broken. He was hired to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, to clean up Reese’s mess. He was hired for his own vision of what the Giants should be. He was hired to try and set them back on the path George Young, Ernie Accorsi and Reese in the early days of his time as GM had put them on — one where they were competitive more often than not and when the stars aligned could win championships.We knew from his time as GM in Carolina that he was not afraid to ruffle feathers, to do things that weren’t popular. That sometimes his decisions would be hard to understand.If Gettleman wasn’t making changes, wasn’t trying to do something different to get the Giants out of the dark winter they have been in, he and the Giants would be getting crucified for stubbornly refusing to change.Instead, Gettleman is getting crucified for making changes many don’t agree with or see the reason for. And for refusing — so far — to make the change at quarterback that so many have been demanding.Something I want to mention about the Beckham trade. Some are hammering Gettleman for not necessarily calling around to see if he could get a better offer than Cleveland’s. He may not have made phone calls, but I think it’s naive if you believe he didn’t know what other teams were willing to pony up. The Giants had been taking phone calls on and off for a year before dealing Beckham. Gettleman knew who the suitors were and how aggressive they were willing to be. It’s silly to think he only talked seriously to the Browns.I said in Saturday’s mailbag that I don’t know if Gettleman will succeed or fail. I truly don’t. I haven’t understood or agreed with every decision he has made. That, though, would be the case no matter who the GM was. Where the Giants are today doesn’t really matter. It’s the middle of March. The AAF is playing games White Calvin Munson Jerseys , not the NFL. Let’s see what Gettleman does with all that draft capital he has accumulated, and the cap space he has cleared for next offseason. What will matter in the end is whether or not Gettleman and the Giants can identify and acquire the right long-term quarterback, and whether or not they can put a winning roster around that quarterback.If he can do those things, spring and maybe even summer will return to Giants football. If he can’t, the long winter will continue, Gettleman will end up hanging out on Cape Cod in a forced retirement, and someone else will try to fix the Giants.Tweet of the weekWhen ex-Giant safety Curtis Riley signed with the Oakland Raiders, our Dan Pizzuta recycled an old tweet that made me laugh.Quarterback tea leavesThe recent Pro Days for Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Will Grier — and the fact that the Giants were well-represented at those events — heightened speculation about the Giants and finding their quarterback of the future. Pat Shurmur’s dinner with Haskins, of course, turned up the volume on the buzz.Remember, though, this is the time of year when all is not exactly what it seems to be.Even though Gettleman said recently that quarterback was “probably” in the team’s Round 1 plan I continue to believe quarterback will not be in play at No. 6. Haskins and Lock may each have their supporters, but I still don’t believe either has the unanimous backing of the team’s decision-makers or that the Giants think either guy is an absolute must have.That being the case, I still believe the Giants go after the highest-impact defensive player on their board at No. 6, with offensive tackle being an outside possibility should they not find a veteran right tackle.Quarterback? The 17th pick — maybe — if Lock somehow slides to that spot or the Giants like Jones enough. The 37th pick — maybe — if Jones, Will Grier or someone else is there and intrigues them enough.Let’s see if that changes between now and draft day.Podcast-paloozaI wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who has been listening to the shows on BBV Radio. So far this month, the amount of downloaded shows is more than double any other month since the shows debuted last fall. Thanks to all of you, and we hope the shows continue to grow and get better. Of course Calvin Munson Jerseys 2019 , maybe I should be thanking Gettleman and Beckham for this month’s explosion, as well.You can find and subscribe to Big Blue View radio from the show’s home page.You can find all the shows on our Big Blue View Radio Hub Page.You can also find the shows and subscribe on all your favorite podcast apps:Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSSFinally, be sure to check out the home page for all of the shows across the expanding Vox Media Podcast Network. Dak Prescott accepted the challenge.The Dallas quarterback threw a 64-yard touchdown pass to Tavon Austin on the third play of the game and the Cowboys sacked Eli Manning six times in a 20-13 victory over the New York Giants on Sunday night.The Dallas defense was strong again, just as in an opening loss at Carolina, as the Cowboys (1-1) avoided the first 0-2 start in seven seasons under coach Jason Garrett.Manning and the Giants have started 0-2 for the fifth time in the past six seasons.After saying “challenge accepted” during the week to Giants safety Landon Collins‘ suggestion that New York had a better chance by forcing Prescott to throw, the 2016 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year hit Austin in stride behind cornerback Janoris Jenkins. The speedy receiver cut back to his right before trotting across the goal line at an angle.“We definitely hear that,” Prescott said. “I kind of said the challenge accepted, I said I accepted it. But I can tell you I wasn’t the only one who accepted that challenge. This team accepted it. That offense accepted it. We wanted to go out there and just show you guys.”Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott outgained Saquon Barkley in the first meeting in the pros between the former college rivals and high NFL draft picks. Elliott, who starred at Ohio State, rushed for 78 yards with a touchdown. Barkley, from Penn State, had just 28.Even Prescott outrushed Barkley, finishing with a career-high 45 yards on the ground while throwing for 160.Brett Maher had the first two field goals of his NFL career, including a 29-yarder after Damien Wilson forced a fumble on a sack of Manning and Taco Charlton recovered.The Cowboys shared the wealth on the sacks, with six different players recording a sack apiece: the linebacker Wilson, safety Kavon Frazier and defensive linemen Charlton, DeMarcus Lawrence, Antwaun Woods and Tyrone Crawford.“He’s been in this league for a long time, he can read defenses White Ray-Ray Armstrong Jerseys , and to shake him up a little bit is always good,” Crawford said.The Giants had questions with the offensive front, and they’ll only grow after Manning finished two sacks shy of the most in his career. New York also lost center Jon Halapio, who was carted off with an air cast on his right leg in the third quarter.Manning converted a pair of fourth downs on sneaks, but the sacks helped keep the Giants from converting those into points. He was even hammered when he wasn’t behind the line of scrimmage — on a hit by linebacker Jaylon Smith on a 1-yard gain before New York’s first points on Aldrick Rosas‘ 28-yard field goal late in the third quarter.“Eli’s confident,” coach Pat Shurmur said. “He’s a pro and he battled throughout the game and I thought he did a good job. I sense confidence, yes.”Prescott fooled the New York defense several times with fake handoffs to Elliott on keepers around end. The longest was a 15-yarder on Dallas’ second possession, leading to Maher’s first NFL field goal from 37 yards.For the second straight week, the Giants didn’t get a touchdown until the fourth quarter. New York made it interesting when Michael Thomas recovered an onside kick after Manning’s 18-yard scoring pass to Evan Engram with 1:27 remaining.The Giants settled for Rosas’ 38-yard field goal to get within a touchdown with 11 seconds remaining, but the next onside kick went out of bounds.Manning finished 33 of 44 for 279 yards. Austin had two catches and led Dallas with 79 yards receiving.AIR TIMEAlthough Barkley was stifled in the running game, he led everybody with 14 catches for 80 yards. Odell Beckham Jr. had four grabs for 51 yards. Engram added seven for 67. “They just did a good job just getting some pressure and not getting a whole lot of time to get the ball down the field,” Manning said.STILL TOUGH SLEDDINGThe quick strike in the passing game still didn’t make life very easy on Elliott. He struggled to find much room outside of a 19-yarder on the second scoring drive. The touchdown was a churning 6-yard run for a 20-3 lead with 5:45 remaining.DELAYED DEBUTDallas tight end Rico Gathers was active for the first time in his third NFL season. The former Baylor basketball player was open in the end zone on one play, but Prescott overthrew him when pressure came. Gathers was targeted twice without a catch.INJURIESGiants: Punt returner Kaelin Clay injured an ankle in the second quarter and didn’t return. He had another adventurous moment a week after his late muff cost the Giants a chance to rally against Jacksonville. He was indecisive on a punt, which bounced in front of and straight into him. He hung on to the ball. … Eli Apple was sidelined in the second half because of a groin injury.Cowboys: LB Sean Lee was held out late with a sore hamstring, but coach Jason Garrett said he could have returned and should be fine next week.UP NEXTGiants: Another Texas trip to Houston.Cowboys: At Seattle.57<button class="view-gallery">View Gallery</button> Gallery:PHOTOS: Challenge Accepted! Prescott leads Cowboys by NFC East rival Giants 20-13Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports | Tim Heitman

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2019 Themen und 3238 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen