Gattis hit two home runs, including the first of back-to-back

in Steckbrief 02.11.2019 02:25
von zhangzk • 134 Beiträge

With the two best games of his career coming on consecutive days http://www.bengalscheapstore.com/jonah-williams-jersey-cheap , designated hitter Evan Gattis has quickly transformed into the Astros‘ hottest hitter – and their current good luck charm.

He’s got a franchise record to prove it, too.

Marwin Gonzalez during a seven-run second inning, and the streaking Astros beat the Oakland Athletics 13-5 on Wednesday night for their seventh straight win.

One night after homering and setting a career high with five RBIs, Gattis drove in five again, becoming the first player in franchise history to drive in five in consecutive games.

”It was fun to watch our guys respond to his continued damage at-bats,” Houston manager AJ Hinch said. ”They’re taking his helmet off and rubbing it all over themselves and they’re trying to get as close to him as they can. They want whatever he’s eating, whatever he’s doing during the games.”

Jake Marisnick also homered, Carlos Correa had a two-run triple and Yuli Gurriel had three hits and three RBIs to help Gerrit Cole (8-1) win his sixth straight decision.

Gattis had a sacrifice fly in the first inning, hit a three-run home run off A’s starter Paul Blackburn (1-1) in the second then went deep again with a solo blast off Emilio Pagan in the seventh. Gattis also walked in the eighth.

”He’s white hot Drew Sample Jersey ,” Cole said. ”Just a great approach right now. He’s obviously put the team on his back a little bit.”

Gattis’ 10 RBIs in two games also ties an Astros record, but the big slugger wouldn’t say he’s necessarily locked in at the plate.

”It never feels like it,” Gattis said. ”You’re about to go hit a ball with a stick and you’re going to get out 70 percent of the time. You have to enjoy the good stuff if you’re going to get mad about the negatives in the game.”

Cole allowed a season-high four runs over six uneven innings, including two home runs, but benefited from the early cushion. The AL leader in strikeouts fanned six and yielded six hits with two walks.

That gives Houston three eight-game winners – Cole, Thursday’s starter Justin Verlander (8-2) and Tuesday’s winner Lance McCullers (8-3).

”Some undesirable results a couple times,” Cole said. ”Fastball command wasn’t poor but it wasn’t as sharp.”

The defending World Series champs moved a season-high 19 games over .500. This is Houston’s longest winning streak since taking seven in a row from Aug. 31-Sept. 6, 2017.

Oakland outfielder Jake Smolinski became the first A’s position player to pitch in a game since utility player Tyler Ladendorf on June 3, 2016. Smolinski allowed a leadoff double to Max Stassi and a two-run home run to Marisnick in the ninth, then retired the next three batters.

”The one thing you really want is don’t get hurt and throw the ball over the middle of the plate http://www.bengalscheapstore.com/germaine-pratt-jersey-cheap , and he did exactly that,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said. ”He was up for it. He’s up for just about anything.”

Khris Davis homered twice for Oakland, his 18th and 19th of the season. Stephen Piscotty also went deep.

The Astros flexed their defensive muscle in the eighth after Matt Olson reached on an error. Marisnick made a leaping catch in center to rob Matt Chapman of a home run, then threw to second baseman Tony Kemp, who relayed to first to double up Olson.

QUICK EXIT

Blackburn retired only four batters and allowed eight runs before departing in the second.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Athletics: Chapman made another handful of stellar defensive plays at third base, one night after getting hit in the left hand by a 92.3 mph fastball from Astros reliever Collin McHugh.

UP NEXT

Verlander (8-2, 2.58 ERA) makes his 15th start in the series finale for Houston on Thursday. Among qualifying pitchers, Verlander leads the majors in ERA and is second in innings pitched (93 1/3) and third in strikeouts (113). Right-hander Frankie Montas (3-0, 1.25) goes for Oakland.

RENTON, Wash. (AP) — The comparisons began the night L.J. Collier became a first-round draft pick and have persisted since Ryan Finley Jersey , including Friday when the Seattle Seahawks‘ rookie minicamp opened.They go like this: if Collier develops the Seahawks could have found a new version of Michael Bennett. While that might not seem like a fair burden to place on Collier, the rookie from TCU selected with the 29th overall pick is embracing it.“I think that’s a great comparison because he can play outside, he can play in. He’s a tough, hard-nosed guy,” Collier said. “He loves to hit people. I like his style of play, his flexibility to go in and out, things like that. Obviously I can do that, too. That’s why I see the comparison.”It’s not that coach Pete Carroll or the Seahawks staff is trying to link what Bennett brought during his time in Seattle with what Collier is going to provide right away. But many of the characteristics that made Bennett such a disruptive player in Seattle are similar to what Collier showed in college.Most notably, the Seahawks are certain they drafted a defensive end that can play multiple positions, especially in passing situations. Collier was a first-team All-Big 12 selection in his senior season after recording 42 tackles http://www.bengalscheapstore.com/renell-wren-jersey-cheap , 11 ½ tackles for loss, six sacks, and four pass breakups. He played in a rotation during his first three years at TCU before becoming a full-time starter as a senior.“He has a style to his play that I was attracted to right off the bat. He plays with really good leverage, has really long arms and uses his hands really well. And you could see it in the walkthrough even, just his position and he has a sense for that,” Carroll said. “That’s a special characteristic that he already has. So technique-wise he’s been coached very well also. There’s stuff we can do with him. I think he’s going to be a really exciting guy to fit into the scheme.”Collier was an unexpected first-round pick, with most draft analysts expecting him to be taken on the second day. True to form, Seattle defied convention and took Collier earlier as defensive linemen started disappearing from the draft board. Coming from the small town of Munday, Texas, Collier said it’s been a whirlwind week of hearing from old friends Michael Jordan Jersey , teachers and “some cousins I didn’t really know.”But now his complete focus is on learning Seattle’s defense as quickly as he can.“If anything, it drives me to get better,” he said. “The guys here are going to push me. They’re going to help me get better. It doesn’t put any pressure on me at all. I’ve lived with pressure my whole life. It just pushes me to go harder and play even better.”NOTES: Carroll said Seattle would like to keep RT Germain Ifedi around for the long-term even though the team declined the fifth-year option on the former first-rounder. “We’re in the midst of trying to continue to fit the roster together and all that and the big demands, sometimes we can jump on it, sometimes we can’t. … This is not an indication of anything. We like the guy and hope he’ll be with us for a long time.” … WRs Gary Jennings (fourth round) and John Ursua (seventh round) sat out the first day of camp with minor hamstring injuries. Jennings is likely to be out a couple of weeks while Ursua was pushing to take part in the weekend camp, Carroll said.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2019 Themen und 3238 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen